Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Fishing in the Dee Saturday 7th

Today I went in on my own and worked on Evington ward. 
As it is a Saturday it is much quieter on the ward.
I went to speak to a patient we had met before and this time sat at her bedside.
I had a stick and some ink and some paper also some butter pats  - we spoke about the farm she lived on as a child - it was the patient that initiated the conversation.
I asked her to tell me what the farm looked like and that I would try to draw it from her description.
She also told me a lot of information about the stream and making butter so I wrote that down.


Once I had a rough drawing to show her she was able to point at parts of it to tell me where things should be - the windows should be bigger - the doors are at the ends of the building - there was a wall there and a garden - woods behind the house…
She explained to me the journey of the stream which went under the house and through the cellar.
She was quite confused about where she was now but could speak in detail about the farm.
I liked that we both went on a journey together  - to her childhood  - her describing the farm to me meant that I could be there too - it took us out of the hospital just for a little while.
She told me that she would go fishing in the River Dee (or the brook ) and that her and her sister would fish with a cane with a fine string and a hook on the end and catch Dace and Roach and Trout.

I used my I pad to look up Dace as I had never heard of it before - I used ink and the stick to paint a Dace from the photo from the internet while we chatted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Come in any time!" Thursday 12th of July

Today Penny and I worked together on Evington ward. The staff suggested several patients to us - we began to work with a patient who had ...