Tuesday, July 17, 2018

In my garden 10th July

Today I went to Erddig Ward, initially I went to sit with a patient I had worked with previously with Penny who had told us about her childhood home - she was really pleased to see me again which was nice - she said she was going to have to leave soon to meet her mother so I said I would be very quick today. 
I showed her the butter pats as I knew the she lived on a dairy farm 
I have some little school blackboards in my suitcase so I gave her one and took one for myself.
She drew the house she lived in as a child I wrote her name and her village on my board.
Her family came just after we had done this - so I left but showed them the drawing she had done of her old house - they were interested in this and one relative took a photo of it so that they could talk about it again later - they knew that she often talked about her childhood home.

I went to see another patient we chatted for a while and I discovered that what she really enjoyed and missed was her garden.
I asked her to describe it and I drew a picture of it - she had some gardening magazines and she showed me flowers that were in her beds so that I could put them in  - we tried to put them in the right part of the garden as she described it to me - it was important to her to get it right.
It was a nice way to take her out of the hospital environment for a little while.

She became breathless and needed a nurse so I got out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Come in any time!" Thursday 12th of July

Today Penny and I worked together on Evington ward. The staff suggested several patients to us - we began to work with a patient who had ...