Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Collieries 11th of July

Today I went to see a patient on Erddig Ward
Initially he didn't say much at all - I didn't know anything about him except that he had been in the Fron Choir.
I decided to use the scrabble letters and see if he was interested in making any words - I sat opposite him at his table and took some letters myself as if we were going to play a game.
Watching him I realised that he couldn't see the cream tiles against the light coloured table so I helped him turn them over.
Slowly he looked at the letters and moved them around until it became clear that he was trying to write Elizabeth - it was his wife's name. 

Together we wrote his name next to her name and then Cefn y Bedd where he had been brought up - he started talking to me a bit more, telling me about Cefn y Bedd and his father who was an under manager at Llay Main Colliery.
I showed him my blackboard and asked if he had used one like that at school - he said that as a matter of fact he had - I asked what he would have written on it and he said that they had to write down the names of local collieries - so that is what we did - he listed them I wrote them down - he told me lots more as well - I found out about him and his family - when I left he thanked me.

“Its nice to have company really, its nice to go back to your youth”

I popped back in to say hello to a patient we had seen before and she remembered me.
She said she was busy and would need to go and see her mother soon but she said she had time for something quick - I wondered if she would like scrabble as we had done the crossword in her newspaper together previously - she made some words with her letters and we made it into a bit of a sentence together before she had to go.
When I left she said

“I really appreciate your visits, I really look forward to seeing you”.



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Come in any time!" Thursday 12th of July

Today Penny and I worked together on Evington ward. The staff suggested several patients to us - we began to work with a patient who had ...