Saturday, July 14, 2018

“Yellow- I bet you weren’t expecting that!” July 14th 2018

Wrexham Maelor Residency Notes
14/7/2018
Evington Ward

“Yellow- I bet you weren’t expecting that!”

Upon arriving at Evington Ward I was introduced to a really lovely man. He immediately moved from his seat and invited me to sit down. This warm cheerful welcome caught me somewhat off-guard because so many people are tired and lethargic in the wards- which is to be expected. This chap though had his bags packed and said that until he was collected he would be very happy to sit and chat.

He asked who I was, and I told him I am an artist here to work on little creative chats together with people on the ward. He told me he is from a very creative family of artists and architects but that he himself is entirely non-creative and has enjoyed alternative success as an athlete. He enjoyed telling me about various family members, their creative mediums and talents, particularly his father. He was very proud of him indeed. He spoke with much love for his wife- hailing her talents as a warm wonderful mother as well as a very able sportswoman. He allowed her all credit for their children’s success which was really lovely to hear. He was a very pleasant person and I admired his ability to remain upbeat against the odds on the ward.
One thing he said gave me an idea. Here is how our conversation went:

Him: “I’m not at all creative, not at all.”
Me: “Well not all art is paint and sketching! Do you consider music to be art? Or poetry?”
Him: “Oh yes, of course. I suppose it is. I love classical music and I do appreciate poetry. Although for me I can’t work out which words to put in what order when it comes to writing poems!”
……Which led me to have a go at some fridge poetry!


He was very interested in the concept and said he had seen it before. So over constant chatting about life, family, holidays, memories and interests (and a cup of tea or two) we made a very sweet piece of text- as and when things came up in conversation. It wasn’t a poem, persay, but he did enjoy it and took definite satisfaction in painstakingly searching for words to complete these 5 lines:

My family are always happy when they do art
My children are great swimmers
The young girl (daughter was not in the magnet vocabulary) loves dancing
We all run fast
It is heaven


I think what touched me most was that he kept apologizing for talking too much. I reassured him that this wasn’t the case and that it was really great to sit and talk to someone so interesting.


We also did a little “All about me” quiz on the typewriter. I usually get these out as a warm up but in this case there had been no need- but for such an active minded man it was really fun to ask the questions as a mere bit of fun.
Amusing answers were
Favourite word: onomatopoeia
Favourite animal: horse
Animal I am most like: A cheetah because I am a very fast runner, even now I’m an old man
Favourite colour: YELLOW! I bet you weren’t expecting that, were you?!


It was a thoroughly enjoyable little session and time flew by. He seemed to enjoy my company too- and I really hope that he gets home to his family soon. They are clearly very dear to him and he spoke of them for the entirety which was touching- and perhaps the secret of his optimism 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Come in any time!" Thursday 12th of July

Today Penny and I worked together on Evington ward. The staff suggested several patients to us - we began to work with a patient who had ...